So … is email marketing dead? I’ve been hearing this question since I started working on the internet.
If you’re looking for the answer (like I was), then you’re in the right place. In this article we will go over everything you want to know in regards to the “death” of email marketing.
Also, we will take a look at whether or not you should consider it as a viable marketing option.
Is Email Marketing Dead?
Let me start by asking you a question: Did you know that 99% of people check their email on a daily basis?
That’s quite the stat. So if so many people regularly check their emails, then why do most people fail at making money with email marketing?
It’s kind of confusing, right? Maybe it’s not the platform on which they are doing their marketing, but the delivery.
Let’s have a look at some of the reasons why most people don’t make money with email marketing:
- They don’t use a Soap Opera Sequence at the beginning of their campaigns. If you don’t know what that is, I have articles that go into more detail about it, but I’ll sum it up for you: it’s a series of emails (usually 5) that people receive when they first go on your email list. It’s meant to create emotion and build an emotional connection between you and your subscribers. Therefore, they will trust you more and be more receptive to your offers. You can read more about the Soap Opera sequence right here.
- They are too aggressive with their marketing campaigns. If you ever subscribed to any guru in the “make money online” space, you probably saw what I’m talking about. Every day you receive emails that basically tell you “hey, buy this!”. Sending these types of emails too often will definitely piss off your subscribers.
- They don’t offer enough value. People subscribe to your email list because they think they will get something. They don’t give you their email with the purpose of being pitched every day. Your audience expects you to provide them with useful information!
- They use really ugly designs. You’ve probably seen those ugly email designs. Personally, whenever I open an email and see too many bright colors and flashy text, I immediately close it. The best design is just a plain white background. It converts much better than flashy stuff.
- They don’t track their metrics. In order to have an understanding of what works and what doesn’t, you need to track the behavior of your audience. How else would you know what needs to be changed?
There are a lot of other reasons, but I feel that these are the main ones.
Email marketing is not dead. But spamming your audience with pitches is. Maybe this was working 20 years ago, but nowadays you need to provide value consistently.
Benefits Of Email Marketing
Now you know that email marketing is not dead. But why would you try it?
Why not just market products on other platforms? There are a lot of reliable mediums out there, like Facebook or YouTube.
Your email is probably one of the most personal accounts that people have. As opposed to your Facebook or Instagram profiles, not a lot of people know your email. Especially your main one.
That’s why you are able to build a better connection with your audience.
It’s obvious that email marketing is timeless. It’s so old, yet so relevant even today.
Email marketing is the only medium that has adapted to the advancements in technology over the past decades.
Email marketing has one of the highest, if not the highest engagement rate out of all marketing platforms. If you provide good content.
Email Marketing ROI
Arguably the most important benefit on this list, the ROI of email marketing is absolutely insane. This study by Optinmonster shows that Email marketing has a much better ROI than social media.
How much? Nearly 4400%! That means that if you do it right, an email marketing can bring in $44 for every $1 you invest.
Future of Email Marketing
Email marketing is still alive and well. Also, it’s not going anywhere in the foreseeable future.
Even with advancements in technology such as Facebook Chatbots, email is still the #1 way to follow up with your audience.
If you want to learn more about it, there are plenty of articles regarding email marketing on this blog. Also, if you’re looking for a reliable and affordable email marketing software, I recommend checking out my GetResponse Review.